Sunday, April 5, 2009

More work

It's getting close to the end of my current semester, but I've been stealing little bits of time to work on this project. I've plugged my current version into a window with keylisteners and such. Once again I let my code get messy, so I've been transferring it into my new project, while trying to be better about encapsulation and such. This is all a huge learning experience for me, and I've told myself that I need to spend more time on this project so I can use it as something to showcase (ideally) in my resume. Not that I'm planning to design games, but rogue-likes have a LOT of different kinds of programming inside of their interior bits.

One thing that I've succesfully managed to do today is to switch inventory and such from a fixed array system to linkedLists... the way I have it set now, different species/types of units can have different numbers of types of places to put inventory and/or varying sizes for each of these slots. Imagine an 8-armed creature with 8 weapons, or an alien pack-mule that can lug around 30 items, etc.

my linked list implementation is much more useful and loads nicer to look at, as far as the code goes.

My goal is to release a super alpha version in the next few weeks as a JAR file, as basically a POC. Right now, units are randomly added to a random landscape with a random number of randomly generated objects. I won't add 'enemies' until I get back to adding in weapons-fire, which probably won't be for a month or so.

No comments: