Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Well, I've started over from scratch, mostly. I'm not worrying about the interface right now, though I'll soon embed everything inside of some swing panels so I can use the key listener. Anyway, I've got the tactical world working fine, a super-random level-generator, I can cycle between units, move them around, the inventory works, time units work, you can equip things and look at inventory, etc. I really need to spend a day going through my code to make sure it's commented well. for the time being, I scrapped the color capability in the display, as this is what led to my frustration last time. I'll worry about the display later, as it won't take very much changing for my objects to return colors in addition to their represented character. I'm in the middle of writing methods that actually allow for the unit to use/throw euipment that it's holding in it's hands.

I took the liberty of adding in extra 'stances', (standing/kneeling) so that now you can low-crawl, crouch (move while doing these things) run, and sprint... all of which affect how much TU/Energy is expended, while either increasing or decreasing your accuracy (and other things)

2 comments:

droid factorial said...

As you seem interested in making combat more realistic, you may be interested in:

http://dslyecxi.com/bestoftactical.html

where realistic stances, etc in first person shooters is discussed.

Though I think there may be a risk of things getting complicated enough that the game is more tedious than fun. XCOM had this risk in the late game where there were 40 or so soldiers and each one would need orders. Often I would end up using only a portion of the soldiers and left the rest chillin' in the landing zone. Nice would be if soldiers not on the front lines would cover the flank, advance behind or do something usefull and not too risky unless ordered otherwise. But that gets into AI, wich can be hard.

abagoforanges said...

I originally thought that it might be interesting to only control one X-Com unit, and to have the others be controlled by an AI, but you're right, that it could/would get very complicated. I still might have that as an option in the future, but for now, I'll leave that out. Thanks for the link though, I've bookmarked it.