Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Graduation

So much to do.

Theoretically, I just graduated from EMU. I say theoretically, because i only have 3/6ths of my grades. I'm not worried about two of the remaining grades, but my senior project class is scaring me a bit. Though our professor was a nice guy, he never handed any of our work back the entire semester, not even our midterm exams. My group project for that class didn't end as strongly as I would have liked, as I learned too late that both of my partners were content with mediocrity.

Anyway, that stuff aside, I've suddenly got some more free time and a LOT less stress. I plan to do some coding today, mostly related to 2*2 sized units (instead of the current 1*1 size), though eventually I'd like to support arbitrary size/shaped units, like say 2*3 or whatever. (this other shapes will make things more complicated, especially rotating, etc)

I also need to work with my equipment routine.

I also feel that soon I need to start designing my (G)UI

In general news, I've been reading and listening to some various programming books/podcasts and have some new and better ways to deal with problems that I've created for myself primarily because of my general ignorance of proper large-scale software design.

2 comments:

Joshua Day said...

In general news, I've been reading and listening to some various programming books/podcasts and have some new and better ways to deal with problems that I've created for myself primarily because of my general ignorance of proper large-scale software design.

What they don't tell you is that good design really relies on having done it before. All those techniques are useful once you know exactly what you want to do; you don't know exactly what you want to do, so don't waste too much time. You'll notice that most of the problems you encounter are based on previous guesses you made about how to do things right.

The best advice they'll give you is to admit that the next time it won't be so hard. People find it easier to explain how to design software than to do it, so they explain it.

I don't mean you shouldn't do the best you can; I mean only that you mustn't fret over anything you don't have a good answer to.

abagoforanges said...

What you said makes sense, and I do intend to do what I can. I'll just continue to fix things and make my code more clear as I add more functionality.